Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Stretching my Culinary Skills

I had my first experience with gutting and de-boneing fish last week. Reed's language helper brought us a bag of fish for us to try. The fish is native to our city and is the only fish that lives in the lake here.

I was quite scared to clean these things and a bit grossed out. We used to by salmon from Fareway all the time, but that came nicely packaged without the head, tail, fins, and insides still there. The next day my language helper gave me a quick tutorial on how to clean out a fish.

Here I am with quite a mess on my hands.




My technique wasn't as great as my language tutor's, but I managed to get it cleaned and bones removed.



I fried the fish and we did enjoy it. I'm not sure that I'll be making much effort on my own to do it again. It takes a lot of time to clean the fish and it really leaves quite the smell in the house, but it was more about the experience, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment