Saturday, June 5, 2010

High School Visit

My (Reed's) friend is a High School Geography teacher in a village not far from our city. He invited me to come with him last week and meet his students and fellow teachers.

Here I am with my friend (center) and his friend (left), an English teacher.



Here is the English classroom. They were very excited to have a native English speaker join them in their class.



So excited in fact, that they got up and performed some cultural dances (below).



After their dancing performance, they requested that I sing a song in English. Yes, they asked ME to sing. After many polite refusals they finally relented. As an alternative, my friend had Elvis Presley on his cell phone, so we all enjoyed "You Aint nothin' but a Hound Dog". Ahhh, the beautiful and bizarre occurances of cultural exchange.

I was paraded around to several other classrooms as well, and students were given the opportunity to ask me questions. This was really a challenge given my language abilities, but it was a very interesting look at the local educational system.

No comments:

Post a Comment