Monday, July 30, 2012

Our Apartment


 A few weeks ago we moved back to our old city.  I had not been back since the day of the earthquake.
It has been a blessing to be back in the city that is familiar to us and where we have a lot of memories.  But it also has been a really difficult few weeks.  I think I'm dealing with some post traumatic stress issues, as many memories have returned, especially since we have experienced several small earthquakes since returning.

Here is a picture of our new apartment.  We live on the very top on the right side of the building.  We really like our place, but it has been a challenge on my nerves as I struggle to not fear another earthquake.  Though the earthquakes have been quite small, I am hyper sensitive to them right now, and they probably feel worse than they are.  Though I have to say, being on the top floor feels a lot different than being on the 2nd floor when one occurs.  The building feels like it sways a lot more on top.

We have a nice little park for the boys to play outside.

Before you get too excited about our building I should show you the front.  This was the front after the earthquake.  It is currently being fixed and will be pink like the rest.  You can see the first several floors received the most damage.  Our building was inspected and given a report of being safe and just having cosmetic damage.  With that news, we felt  like we could move in, knowing the cosmetic work is superficial and will get fixed.  But I will say, with the current state I am in, it is hard to look at the front of my building as I enter and feel comforted.  I still struggle with the 'what ifs' of another large quake and what this building can withstand.  But in the end, I'm reminded that God is in control and lead us to this place.  So with that we choose to trust Him.  I am looking forward to having this front complete though.  :)

On a different note, below is a picture of our apartment complex that we lived in when the earthquake occurred.  Reed took this picture today as he drove by.  The whole complex is in the process of being torn down.  You can see they are taking walls out right now.  This picture makes me really sad.  In some ways, I am sad because this place held memories of our first home in Turkey.  In other ways, it is a reminder of the day last fall when I see the damage.  The building was only 2 years old, but was not deemed structurally fit to still stand.  




1 comment:

  1. Oh, Rachael, I cannot even imagine the emotions you must have going back, seeing your old apartment, and still feeling small earthquakes. How scary! I was going to say "you are so brave" to go back...but I know that it is only by God's grace that He is giving you the strength to be where you are right now. Praise Him for what He's doing through you guys! I will pray for you that you find true peace as you trust in Him, and I will also pray for the ground to stop shaking! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete