Thursday, November 10, 2011

God is my refuge and strength

God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.

Psalm 46: 1-2


Last night there was another large aftershock in our city (5.6). 25 buildings collapsed. Many were buildings that were previously damaged a few weeks ago in the initial earthquake. Thankfully most of the buildings were empty but there was a occupied hotel that collapsed where aid workers and reporters were staying. Reed got in touch with me after it happened to let me know he was safe, but pretty shooken up. The magnitude wasn't as great as the initial earthquake, but it did a lot more damage on already weakened structures.


Our apartment last week was deemed safe and livable, but Reed sent me these photos of more damage that was done following last night. We are back to square one with wondering if our place is safe again and Reed feels that we will not move back to that apartment at this point. I'm trying to process all of this and wondering what these next months will look like for us. Where is home for us?


I've been reminded these last few days that God is my refuge and strength. An ever present help. Boy, do I need the help right now! Please pray for wisdom for our family regarding our future.


Here are a few pics of our place following last nights aftershocks:


Our kitchen: many tiles have fallen and a large crack


A view of a living room wall:


Outside our bedroom window:



Urban's room:




As I struggle with the results of the last few weeks, I'm reminded that there are still so many in our city that have totally lost everything and are bearing the cold conditions in a tent. I have so much to be thankful for, most of all I have hope in a living God. Pray that God would use this tragedy in many peoples lives to open up their hearts to Him.


When I first came to Adana after the earthquake, I didn't even have a Bible on me. Someone gave me one and it happened to be a Holman translation. I am not familiar with this translation, but God used a particular verse in this translation to bring comfort and hope to me.


Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I lack.


Though my house is falling apart and I have hardly any of my personal belongings on me, there is NOTHING I lack with my Shepherd. A hard lesson to learn, but a good one!





1 comment:

  1. Your perspective is amazing. Thanks for sharing all these details with us so we can better pray for you guys. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete